วันศุกร์ที่ 23 ธันวาคม พ.ศ. 2554

ETON G5 AM/FM/Shortwave Portable Radio with SSB (Single Side Band)


It's a fine Little radio with great sound quality., I wanted a radio to listen to 40 meter CW traffic. It does all of that and more. We have several other radios in the house, but even my wife looks for this one when she's ready to exercise. It has great sound for such a small radio and picks up AM & FM broadcast stations we couldn't hear on our other radios. It's the only one we have that picks up shortwave, so I have nothing to compare. But I am amazed at the amount of traffic I get on the upper side band of 40 meters. Due to its size, it is the most portable radio we own. It comes with everything I need. It isn't really what I would call an alarm clock radio, but you could use it as such. Or you can set it to come on at a time when you know there will be traffic you would like to listen to or a radio program. There is a pretty good manual with it to guide you through all the functions. It comes with an AC power adapter which doubles as an internal battery charger for your 4 AA rechargeable batteries. It also has earbuds, a protective case for the radio and an external long wire antenna with a jack for it on the radio. I haven't tried the long wire because I don't feel I need it. The adjustable whip antenna extended to around 20 inches works for me on shortwave.

This little radio has quite a following on the internet and there is a place that will work on the front end of the receiver to increase receiver sensitivity. I personally don't think the radio needs the $60 mod but others are happy with it. This radio is out of production at this time and has been replaced by the G3/E3. I didn't want to spend the money for a new E3 and looked around for a cheaper E5. I found mine in new/other condition on a well known internet auction site.
Now a classic radio for some, My Grundig YB-400 had been working so well that I just did not get this radio in the begining. Got the tiny pocket Grundig G6 instead which has been loads of fun. However when the Grundig G5 went on clearance at Radio Shack for $35 I just had to have one. Make that two (one for me one for my wife). RadioShack had a coupon for $10 off a $40 purchase so I got enough rechargable batteries to hit the $40 price and then ended up getting the Grundig G5 and the batteries for $30. Now that I am familiar with the G5 I almost feel like I stole the radio. The G5 is considerable smaller than the YB-400 and sounds almost as good. The G5 sounds much better and has better reception than the Sony 7600G and the G6. The Sony 7600G has the edge in clear SSB listening and the occasional clearing up of a signal with the Sony's Sync Detector. Unless you need a pocket radio I would definately pick the G5 over the G6. The G5 is still very compact and travels well. Speaker is loud enough to comfortably fill hotel rooms. The G5 ergonomically leaves the Sony 7600G in the dust with a much better backlit screen, backlit buttons, push button volume, hundred of presets organized 7 to a page that can be labeled with 4 letters, tunning knob, quiet AC adapter, 3 event alarms that can be set to any station any volume and any combination of days of the week. The YB-400 is now rarely used due to the G5 superiority.
extremely disappointing!, (What's this?) I recently received the Grundig G-5 and immediately sent it back. Although I've had and seen this radio perform well, this one was extremely poor. The AM was very disappointing. Local stations came in like I was in a parking garage. The FM had a lot of bleed over.
Radio, (What's this?) Not what I expected. I am located in the Caribbean and I am not able to get much short wave stations.
Great radio, (What's this?) Its a great little radio. Normal alkaline batteries (AA) don't last very long. Have a similar radio from radio shack that uses 2 C batteries and that better battery life. However this radio can use rechargable batteries and plugging in the AC adapter recharges them. Havent tried that feature yet.
You can save tons of preset stations but its a little cumbersome changing the station.
great radio, lousy vendor, (What's this?) The radio works well with the exception that it does not receive SW off of the whip antenna.
SW works great on an external long wire.
SSB is very good. I am listening to Puerto Rico at the moment and it hears the signal as well as my $500 Satellit 800.
AM is excellent
FM is good

This unit was bought new. It wasnt. The display was all scratched up.
It came from TS Liquidators?

I would have sent it back, but the RF performance is so good on it that I decided to buff out the display myself rather than return it.

Also I think the narrowband filter is a bit to narrow.
Shortwave solves reception and give great sound, (What's this?)
Doesn't measure up, First of all, let me say, I am not an expert or radio junkie, I just want to listen to decent sound on the local FM stations, so take my comments based on that. I had an Eton before this radio and it was a great little trooper, I loved the devil out of it. It eventually bit the dust and they had stopped making it so I bought the Grundig as it appeared to be a similar replacement. Well, the speakers were never great and now, TWO YEARS LATER, it gave up the ghost!!! Maybe I got a lemon but I'll never buy another Grundig again.
Excellent FM reception with Terrific Sound., While i was living in the Navajo Nation, AZ i bought the Grundig Buzz Adrin version at Radio Shack. the FM reception was horrible. I contacted Eton and they recommended trading in for the G5 which i did. What a difference! FM was loud and clear from KNAU Flagstaff . The audio from this little guy is fantastic. The newer G3 is exactly the same with the addition of an AUX jack which the G5 does not have.

HIGHLY recommend this unit and NOT the Buzz Aldrin one.
Kaito 1103 v. Grundig G5, After three years I just couldn't take the Kaito's two step volume control anymore...it's truly ridiculous. I had been looking at the Grundig (G3, actually, as I think all radios should have a line-in feature, for mp3 use) as a replacement. There was a "price-break" and I ended up buying the wrong radio in a hurry...who could remember that the G3 is actually a more sophisticated version of the G5? Not me. There is still a 50 dollar premium for just one feature (unless you listen to aircraft band), i.e., the line-in, which I think is silly.

Anyway, against a three year old 1103, the G5 has significantly better FM reception, a nicer (crisper, more dimensional) sounding speaker, and better ergonomics.

What I don't like about the G5:
Signal meter does not function for FM
Clock is a barely readable, anemic display
Function button, memory recall system a little lame (the 1103 really shines here)
Rubbery finish too tacky, creepy, attracts grease
General appearance uberFUNCTIONAL, not very stylish nor clever.
Kinda flimsy, in hand

I use it every day.

  • Station name input features allow a 4-character input of the stations call letters
  • Synthesized tuning system with digital tuning methods including Auto-Scan, Manual-Scan, Direct Key-in and Manual Tuning
  • AM (520 KHZ-1710 KHz)/FM-stereo (87.5 MHz- 108 MHz), LW (150 KHz - 510 KHz) and Shortwave (1711-29999 KHz) Single Side Band (SSB); Digital Phase Lock Loop (PLL) dual conversion
  • Digital Display world-band radio
  • 700 programmable memory presets

  • Station name input features allow a 4-character input of the stations call letters.Synthesized tuning system with digital tuning methods including Auto-Scan, Manual-Scan, Direct Key-in and Manual Tuning.AM (520 KHZ-1710 KHz)/FM-stereo (87.5 MHz- 108 MHz), LW (150 KHz - 510 KHz) and Shortwave (1711-29999 KHz) Single Side Band (SSB); Digital Phase Lock Loop (PLL) dual conversion.Digital Display world-band radio.700 programmable memory presets. From the Manufacturer With the Grundig G5 Globe Traveler at your side, you’ll always have great listening options. Tune in to AM, FM or shortwave frequencies easily with direct keypad entry, or use the multiple tuning features to quickly scan or browse stations. This portable radio only weighs about 12 ounces, so you can always have your favorite stations at hand. The international clock and wake-up alarms keep you on schedule, wherever your travels take you.

    ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

    แสดงความคิดเห็น